From:
Strobach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:29:01 -0500
We have suffered 15 losses here, this year--a few following surgeries,
most due to lymphoma & nasty tumors, a couple, due to man's cruelty &
ignorance, and one to heart disease.  We don't post, each & every time we
lose one, although each baby was very loved & important.  Today, I make
an exception.

Old Charlie came to us a little over three years ago, at the age of 10.
He had lived his first seven years outside in a rabbit hutch with his
cagemate.  When his cagemate died, the people moved him into the garage
for a few years.  He had no hammy--no blanky--no litterbox--no treats--
no toys.  Just newspaper at the bottom of his rabbit hutch--and a bowl of
cheap cat food to eat.  The grandchildren didn`t come to visit anymore.
The owner was going to klunk him in the head, because he was old...

The daughter worked at our local bank, & knew of us.  She asked her dad
if she could bring him here.  He agreed.

The ferret's name was Charlie--but because we had a Charlie (California
Charlie), we called our old man OLD Charlie.He was adrenal--and everyone
at the vet's office thought I'd blown a gasket when I put him in for
surgery at the age of 10.  We had an excellent surgeon--and Old Charlie
had such spark.  He deserved the chance.He made it through the surgery,
and at that time, it was discovered that he was insulinomic.He was put on
meds for life.

His beautiful new fur came in, & we enjoyed the results of the surgery
for about a year.  Then the other gland began to go bad.  His prostate
enlarged & he couldn't urinate.  We opted for lupron--and the vet taught
me how to express his bladder, which I did, every 5 hours or so..Old
Charlie enjoyed running the room & playing, and was normal in every other
way--eating, drinking, etc--just needed my help to pee.

Last year, I had five surgeries.  MY biggest concern was Old Charlie.
The volunteers could do meds--but none knew how to express the old man.
He had to go home with the vet tech, these times, so she could do it!

Five months ago, his legs became weak--He couldn't walk anymore, but
scooted around the cage.  He LOVED his soup!!  Wasn't ready to die, in
spite of several small strokes.  What spirit he had!  He always bounced
back.

The past few days, his attitude had changed a bit.  He slowed down --
didn't want as much soup.  Last night, his body temp lowered, but he was
sleeping peacefully.  At 3 a.m.  when I did special feedings, he began to
seize, intermittently.  I took him with me to the couch & held him close
to me, skin against skin, to keep him warm.  He was comforted, but seized
twice more.

Realizing there was no way out, this time--and that he would not recover
from this one, I helped him cross, at 8:15 this morning.

Old Charile turned 13 in late July, or early August, according to his
former owner, who lives here in Kirkland.  He was my sweetest old man.
Although I am busy with 50 others here, I just feel lost today.  This
is the end of an era, here at Zoo's Ferret Sanctuary...

Love,
Zoo
www.zoosferretsanctuary.com