From:
"Jeffery A. Haremski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 02:24:38 -0400
Julie,

First let me state that I am not a DVM.  My experience is not
scientifically valid, and should not be the basis of any health care
decisions.

Now, my ferret Rado, who turns 9 next month (if I'm blessed) was found to
have "chronic failing" kidneys in August of '99.  I forget what the test
is called, but her values were low-50's, and 100 is basically the limit.
Normal is in the 30's, I believe.  She also was diagnosed with adrenal
failure, and insulinoma.  Poor girl can't catch a break.

Anyway, she's been on reduced protein food since that day, gets Lupron
shots every few months, and also pred.  and Proglycem since last December.
She's still alive and kicking.  I consider it a miracle, if bittersweet
at times.

I hope your little one keeps on stealing/hiding your valuables...

To anyone (vets, pharmacists?),

Question: Does anyone know anything about a shortage of Proglycem?  My
local pharmacy has been trying to fill my prescription for a week now, and
they are being told the manufacturer is having difficulties making it, and
it is back-ordered.  They don't know when it can be expected back in stock!

I'm getting a bit worried since I have (maybe) a week's worth left.  Does
anyone know of another brand name for Porglycem?  I tried a (pure?) 4%
solution of diazoxide once, but she vomitted that out of her system.

Or perhaps another drug to try besides pred.  or Proglycem???

Any help/word is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Jeffery