From:
April Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:30:05 -0500
Hi, all.

I actually ended up adopting two ferts at work (I work at a vet clinic
now) that were very neglected from a big jerk who called our clinic
(expecting us to diagnose and treat her over the phone) with a dying
female (not even 400g) and he was just going to let her die because he
"has better things to do with his time" and I had to beg him to even drop
her off to me at work because "it was his birthday and he was going out".
I really don't understand why he even called, but I thanked the powers
that be all night that he did and that his wife came home while he was on
the phone and helped convince him to at least give them to me.

I finally said "so you'd rather let her die than spend 20 minutes on your
way out for your birthday to give her to someone who will take care of
her" and I think that did it for his wife.  He didn't even stay long
enough to tell me their names!  What a jerk.  And he has kids, too-bless
them.

The little female was a skeleton with skin and has apparently been losing
weight, having diarrhea and not eating much for months.  I don't know why,
since he called at all, he waited so long.  They were eating crappy food,
which may have something to do with it, and she was ridiculously
dehydrated.  I can't believe she was alive.

She has been eating very well, though, now that we have her eating good
food-she even went from just Nutrical and A/D to eating hard food in a
day!  We have been giving her fluids, Pepcid, amoxi and flagyl and she
has perked up a bit and shows interest in her surroundings now.  She's a
sweetheart and so good-I"d want to bite people if I was that sick!  Kissy
girl!

The boy is big and relatively healthy-not great teeth and also a little
distended and orangey from bad food, but he's perky and sweet and kissy
and may be able to go home this weekend after I ADV test them both.

Anyhoo, I'm super behind on FMLs due to my internet being down, so I hope
to have time to catch up this weekend!

Dooks!

-April, Finnegan, Nicodemus and the two who need names!  (I may name the
girl Sasha after a sweetie we lost in our office to a long-term infection
this week who i got very attached to!)

Incidentally, Everett and Erving (healthy, sweet, 2 year old brothers) in
Worcester MA still need a loving home with lots of playtime!  I was trying
to convince Shawn to let me have them, but these new guys are really needy
and I kind of snuck them on Shawn, but Erving and Everett are at least
well-kept and loved.... But they do still need a new home with time for
them.  so contact me!