From:
Brian Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 1994 10:25:18 -0400
> I am about to get a puppy next month.  It is a cocker spaniel.  I was
> wondering if anyone has any stories, good or bad, to tell about how this
> breed of dog gets along with their furries and vice versa.  For that
> matter, how a newly introduced puppy gets along with their ferrets in
> general although I am mostly intersted in the cocker spaniel
> relationship.

I have two Cocker Spaniels, a cat, two ferrets, two cockatiels,
and misc fresh and salt water fish.  The Cockers arrived first,
then the cat and then one ferret (Squirt) and about a year later
his buddy Gizmo (the second ferret).  Needless to say, I've had
some experience with introducing new animals.

For introducing a puppy to a home with other pets, the best
approach I've found is to put all the other pets in a back room
and then to introduce the newcomer to the home.  The newcomer
will be able to get used to the home and the smells before dealing
with territorial issues.  After about an hour or so (however long
it takes for the newcomer to settle down a touch), bring out the
established residents one at a time.  It works best if you have
another human with you so that both non-humans can be held until
they get used to the other.  Then it's usually OK to let the
established member go while trying to control the newcomer.  Play
it by ear from there, but keep a close eye on everyone if you
decide all is well.  Sometimes a pet will be well behaved while
you are right there but as soon as you turn your back...

We've been fortunate enough that the temperment of all our pets
is such that none get too possessive or territorial, but the
above should work for most pets - the variable is just how long
the whole process might take.

Good luck with your new baby!
Brian
... Reeses & Snickers (the Cockers)
...... Frosty (the huge white cat)
......... Squirt & Gizmo (the carpet sharks)
............ Ashley & Haley (the Cockatiels)