From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:51:00 -0600
Roger Vaughn and Troy Lynn have recently posted some comments that I have
also been wanting to post for some time.  My sole intention is only to
remind each of us about what is important.  I post anonymously to avoid
making this an attack on any particular individual or shelter.

Of late, I have come under criticism, had numerous lies posted, and
rumors spread about me.  Not once have I responded to FML or privately
to the individual simply because that is not why I involve myself with
rescuing ferrets.

Let's be honest.  Not one of us dedicates every hour of every day to
ferrets in hopes of fame or fortune or to be better than this shelter or
that person.  We shelter ferrets because we can't help it.  Because we
are drawn to them.  Because they need us.

Being part of a ferret shelter, I maintain this view by basing every
decision I make from the ferret's perspective.  This includes every
dollar spent that is not spent directly on the ferrets themselves -
operating expenses, educational materials, advertising.  In business,
this is essentially a cost-benefit analysis.  For example, "If I pay X
dollars for printing educational pamphlets, how will this benefit the
shelter (and pet store) ferrets?"

Even those decisions that do directly affect the ferrets, even though the
answer seems evident, must be considered when it comes to the limited
dollars available to shelters and the fact that directors may have
different opinons on some issues.  For example, do we pay more money for
a high quality food that we recommend to people who adopt from us, less
money for a poorer quality food because we can feed more ferrets this way
(but still recommend the high quality food to those who adopt from us),
or do we only feed our ferrets the cat, kitten, and low quality ferret
food that is donated to us because it is cheaper?  Again, a cost-benefit
analysis is done from the ferret's perspective to ensure the decision is
made in their best interest.  This way no person is slighted, and the
ferrets win.  Who is going to question a shelter that makes their
decisions in this manner?  Sadly, it still does happen...

I consider myself lucky.

 ...to have been given the chance to make a difference.  The hours are
long, the pay is bad, but the joy of rehabilitating a biter, introducing
a ferret to their new family, and educating more people about ferret care
makes it worth it.  Even the unbearable pain of only being able to
provide a newly acquired shelter ferret with a drive to the vet clinic, a
kind heart, a warm kiss, and a soft voice as you help them to the bridge
makes it worth it.

 ...to be part of a community that cares so much about their pets.

 ...to have attended Ferrets 2002.  Not only was it educational, great
fun, and a chance to go to Vegas, the amount of passion that people
have for ferrets was undeniable and overwhelming.  And to be completely
honest, the first thing I think of every time I reminisce over the
conference is Randy's speech.  The part where she begged us all to
remember what is important.  The part where she reminded us that we all
may do things different, and we all may not agree with each other from
time to time, but if we want to have a positive impact for ferrets we
HAVE to work together.

My opinion is this.  If we are on this list, other lists, attending
conferences at our own expense, and rearranging our lives to ensure the
best for the ferrets in our care then perhaps we should acknowledge that
we all have at least one thing in common - even with those individuals
we do not like or necessarily agree with.

Try to be objective about another shelter/person's actions, perhaps they
have done something that does not seem right to you at first but upon
closer examination their actions actually do reflect a benefit for
ferrets, and not themselves.  On the other hand, if a shelter/person's
actions are of concern to you, I urge you to ask the shelter/person
directly.  This does not have to be confrontational, demeaning, or
argumentative; it can be done in a mature and rational manner.

Lastly, if you read something about a shelter or a person do not
automatically accept it to be the truth because someone has emailed their
opinion into a mailing list.  Do not then judge the shelter/person in
question in their future posts or when you meet them in person - judge
them for yourself.  Don't get me wrong, there unfortunately are some bad
apples in this world but sometimes it is not who you think it is, and in
fact can be those you would never imagine it to be.  I don't blame these
people but I do feel bad for them and hope that they soon remember what
is really important before they do the exact opposite of what they are
trying to accomplish.

As shelter moms and dads we already clean up enough poop in our lives!
Why add more?

[KH]