From:
Jacquie Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:27:34 -0700
My gang has managed to contract giarrdia twice, once last year when I
rescued Turnip and brought him in with it, then again last fall when we
somehow picked it up from (I believe) the vet's office.

Both times, our vet treated the boys with 1/8-tsp Panacur once daily for
three days in a row, then wait a week and repeat once daily for three days
in a row.  The Panacur is a powder that must be tasteless from what the
"kids" tell me.  I put the carefully measured 1/8-tsp into a tablespoon and
stir it around with some a/d (usually thinned down with a little water &
warmed to taste).  This way I can be sure they take the whole amount.  They
love the a/d, so they gobble it down with no problems.  Panacur needs to be
taken with food, so I then give them some more a/d as a treat and voila!

By the third day of treatment, the diarrhea is over.  The treatment the
following week is just precautionary, as apparently giarrdia is a pretty
hardy little fella.  Anyway, that's how we deal with it here, no muss, no
fuss, very effective treatment!  Hope this helps someone else.  Panacur is
also relatively inexpensive.  I think I treated all three of mine (both
three-day treatment regimes) for under $20.  Flagyl isn't REALLY necessary,
so don't gag those babies!

Note: To those who may be unaware, this is a highly contagious parasite and
we should use extreme care in handwashing and handling of litter/feces when
our kids have it.  If the cage, litter boxes, bowls, blankies, toys, etc.,
aren't cleaned and disinfected, they can turn right around and get it
again, or give it to other pets or family members.  On a somewhat
interesting note, however, I got giarrdia from the kids this last time
(it's those kisses!) and my physician treated me with Flagyl!  Talk about
unfair!

jacquie rodgers & the boys  (Loki, Morgan & Turnip)