From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 21:07:28 -0500
http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=14984

including this segment form the middle of the article:
>The Millers, a married couple, each was fined $5,000 and given three
>years probation in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Mo., by U.S.
>Magistrate Judge John T. Maughmer. In addition, ChemNutra was fined
>$25,000.
>
>The Millers and ChemNutra pleaded guilty last June to one count each
>of distributing adulterated food and selling misbranded food, both
>Class A misdemeanors. They did not admit to knowingly distributing
>and selling the contaminated food.
>
>A press release from the U.S. Attorney's Office at the time stated
>that the Millers could be sentenced to up to two years in prison
>without the possibility of parole, and that they and the company
>together could be fined up to $800,000 and ordered to pay restitution.
>However, prosecutors recommended a total of $35,000 in fines and three
>years of probation for each of the individuals. The judge followed the
>recommendation.
>
>The court opted not to impose restitution, citing a $24-million
>settlement in a related class-action civil suit handled by the U.S.
>District Court for the District of New Jersey.

So, we will also need to see what happens with the civil suit in the
future. and much later in the article:

>The Veterinary Information Network, which surveyed its members and
>tracked cases, estimates that 30,000 to 50,000 animals were affected.
>About 1,950 cats and 2,200 dogs died, by the reckoning of the U.S.
>Attorney's Office, based on consumer reports received by the FDA.

Wasn't there someone here who had a ferret affected back then?

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html