Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 00:59:45 -0400
Hello to all you fellow FML folks from Maine,

Just when you think you've figured out most of a ferrets behavior they seem
to throw in a new one.  Our 3 year old male ferrets contracted ECE over the
4th of July week.  With the help of you wonderful folks who sent me all
kinds of medical tricks to pull these guys through and the local vet (who
hadn't heard of ECE but took all the medical information we found on the FML
and put it to good use) our babies have bounced back and are now as good as
new.  BUT, ever since Bandit got over the ECE he (sorry folks, this is
gross) will not pee in the litter box but pees on the newspaper we keep
under and around the litter box.  This allows the pee to puddle before it
soaks into the newspaper and he will turn right around and lick it up as
fast as he can.  Kirby, his brother, doesn't do this.  Our vet is stumped.
I read on the FML a while back that someone else's fert did this but I
didn't see any follow-up posts on this subject.  Could he be craving
something that his body is lacking (vitamins, minerals, or something)?  This
started AFTER the recovery from ECE and I didn't know if the ECE damaged his
digestive system in some way.  Any thoughts on this folks?  Thanks for
listening.

Sincerely,
  Bruce and the Maine Gang