From:
Pamela E Troutman and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 10:05:09 EDT
>As this thread has been happening, it has been stated that the shelters
>(God Bless Them), are by far overcrowded.  I'd have to ask.  If
>"technically" I cannot afford to "take on any more animals" is the answer
>to this to tell people "oh well, too bad, I can't help you"?

No - the correct answer is "I don't have the resources to take in any more
ferrets at this time, but I will do everything in my power to help you
place the ferret(s) yourself."

1. You get the ferrets information over the phone, same as you'd know if
the ferret were at the shelter - color, sex, neutered, age, pair or single,
likes/dislikes, shot and vet history, etc.

2. You have a bulletin board at the shelter listing ferrets for adoption
throught their owners.

3. If the people visiting your shelter don't find the right ferret, refer
them to the list.

I only take in emergency rescues (from county facilities or strays found by
non-ferret people).  Other shelters may only take in ferrets if they can't
be placed with their assistance in under two weeks.  In other words - YOU
DON'T HAVE TO TAKE IN EVERY FERRET!  If the people are moving in a month,
take their info and help place the ferrets from their present home.  Less
stress on the ferrets and the shelter.  Sure you don't get an aoption fee,
but you don't have a mouth to feed, a pan to clean, a possible breakdown
due to ECE, distemper, colds, shelter stress, etc.  A shelter should be the
LAST RESORT for a homeless animal - if we can become placement services as
well as shelters, we'll save ourselves a whole lot of stress and costs, and
have more time to care for the ferrets who really need it.

The first question you should be asking callers is:
"Why do you need to give up this ferret?" - it might be something they just
need education about (like litter training or nip training).

The next question is:
"Can you keep the ferret(s) until I locate a suitable new home?" - most
people don't mind and it will help out the shelter immensly.

Pam T.
Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets