From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 1996 19:02:51 -0500
Tanya
I read your response and distemper can act differently depending on the
ferret.  The symptoms that you describe (scaly skin, puffy eyes&mouth, nasal
discharge) are classical distemper signs.  We have had ferrets after their
second distemper shot begin to develop signs.  Distemper is 100% fatal.  The
test for distemper takes about 10 days to two weeks down here.  The animal
slowly but steadily declines with the symptoms getting more and more
apparent each day.  "Mambo" was a 8mo old rescue who was put down for
distemper after being rescued for more than 50 days.  The doctors are now
saying that symptoms can occur after three weeks or more after exposure.
(and yes BIG, I am saying the animal contracted distemper from the vaccine,
not in spite of it).  My shelter has evidence that points to the vaccine
causing the distemper, unfortunately this was not caught and the animal that
contracted distemper had mixed with unprotected and somewhat protected
ferrets in our rescue, resulting in a total of 7 deaths.  Virginia, South
Carolina and Michigan are currently in "outbreak" status for distemper.  If
you know anyone who has a ferret , please URGE them to vaccinate.  I know
that sounds funny after saying the vaccine caused an animal to get
distemper, but the odds are small and (I hope) United Vaccine has corrected
the problem, but a small chance of contracting the virus is better than no
protection.  If the ferret has never had any shots beyond what the breeder
has given, that animal needs a series of three shots in three week intervals
to be fully protected and that during that time the animal should be
quarantined from all other ferrets.  Tanya I hope that you do not go thru
what I have gone thru and that it is not distemper, but if it is I hope you
will do what is best for Canela :-(.

Lisa