From:
JMYSHARONA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 14:28:07 EST
Mr. Lipinski seems to be taking names and descriptive phrasing a bit too
literally.  Just because the brand name is "Totally Ferret", it does not
imply to most reasonable people that it contains totally ferrets.

I do have experiance with legal labeling requirements with food products,
and a statement of "complete" on a label means that it does not require a
daily dietary suppliment.

Also "code-dating" is nothing new for food products.  Take a look at the
next bag of chips you purchase from a vending machine, or most of the food
you purchase at the local supermarket.  This form of dating is done on
product which is stocked by vendors, and is still legally required to be
removed from sale by the expiration date.  It just doesn't give you, the
consumer, the option of picking through the shelf for the freshest of the
stock.

Quite honestly, it doesn't matter to me which department wrote the label on
the package, as long as the package contents are of good quality.

In my humble opinion "Totally Ferret" is one of the highest quality ferret
diets on the market.

An attack of supposition and innuendo regarding it's content will accomplish
nothing.  When there is some fact to back it up I'll be among the first to
listen.

Oprah was recently exonerated of the charges brought against her by the beef
industry.  These charges were raised and she didn't even "name names".  This
leaves a certain legal liability, considering that these allegations are
being made against specific brands with no scientific data to back them up.
SP

[Moderator's note:  A couple of other followups to Mr. Lipinski's post
appeared at the top of yesterday's Marshall Farm's special issue.  BIG]