Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 09:28:00 CDT
Ahhhh, (yawn) a subject I can relate to.  Uncaged ferrets will settle
more quickly than caged ferrets, especially at night.  Ferrets tend to
sleep when bored, and face it - if you were caged all day you'd probably
nap too - I take naps in the afternoon myself on the rare occassion I'm
home during the day. Single ferrets also may sleep more while their human
companions are away.  Ferrets, being the playful critters they are, love
to see their "humans" jump and squirm and what better way than to toe-nip
or leg-lick under the covers (hey Poto let's see if we can get mom/dad to
jump around and play with us[3:00 a.m.]).  Another factor may be temperature.
If you turn the heat down at night when it is already cooler your ferrets
may become friskier.  Ferrets can and will adjust to our schedules but it
takes time and patience.  All ferrets at our home are not caged and
I love to hear their little playful noises during the night or early
morning hours (herd of elephants running up and down the hall, someone
pushing containers off the top of the fridge, ooking & dooking as they
wrestle together, etc.). You can look at it either as enjoyment or annoyance.
Life is just too short not to enjoy every opportunity with these adorable
little critters! Obviously, I look at it as enjoyment.  What better way
to go to sleep than to soft sounds of playful ooking and dooking, and
if I stay real still when they tickle my toes (takes willpower) they will
get bored and move on to a more playful companion - and if not, maybe
I'll sleepily play with them for just a little while. Just think how much
we miss while we sleep!

Hugs!  tle