Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 08:27:36 -0500
I have a question for Dr. Williams.  I would like to get his opinion on
Heartworms in Ferrets.  For a very long time now, I have been concerned and
confused because I have heard so many conflicting stories regarding this
subject.  I know that in dogs , you do not administer heartworm medication
until a test has been done.  I'm told that if the dog has heartworm, then
you do not give them the medication because of the larvae.  I'm told that
this can kill them.  Is it the same in all animals, especially in ferrets?
Some say no and some say yes, so this is enough to confuse a person.  In
otherwords should you begin heartworm prevention in a ferret and not worry
about testing for heartworms?  In the past I also have been told that you
don't see heartworms in ferrets real often.  What is your opinion on this?

Thanks so much,
sue