From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:43:01 -0500
>Our 5 year old male ferret has what looks like chordoma.  I looked it up
>in my "Ferrets for Dummies" book and that is what it looks like.  It
>isn't on the tip of the tail, but about an inch down.  It has grown
>almost overnight.  ....
>
>just wanted to know if it is painful for him or not?  Also, is it deadly
>for him?  I mean, will he die from

Dear X:

Chordoma is a common musculoskeletal tumor which arises in the spine, and
most often in the tail.  No, these tumors do not metastasize, and he will
not die of it.  These tumors do eat into the bone of the veterbrae, and
this is painful; but the good news is that amputation of the tail is
curative.  Let's get it removed as soon as possible.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM