From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 08:28:09 EST
>It's pretty well-known that P&G does extensive animal testing on their
>products.  By their own admission they have cut down but not eliminated
>testing.  I don't think one will have a problem finding this info.  One
>doesn't have to be a member of PETA to be concerned about animal testing,
>or about buying ferret/cat/dog food from a company that tests household
>products on animals.
>Ronnie DiComo

What kind of product animal testing does P&G do and what are the
independent, unbiased sources?  It is not enough to say that P&G or any
other company engages in animal testing - especially when that company has
a division making pet products.  It would be irresponsible to market a
product designed for an animal companion without first making sure it was
safe for that creature.  That is a far cry from strapping a white rabbit
down and spraying cosmetics in its eyes, or engaging in vivisection.  The
question is valid and remains - what kind of product animal testing does
P&G do and what are the independent, unbiased sources?  PeTA and other
animal rights groups have an agenda that makes some of their claims less
than totally honest and sometimes - as was seen this week with the PeTA
"Got Beer" ad campaign aimed at underage college students - less than
responsible.  It is not enough to say that it is "pretty well-known"
without verifiable sources.  After all, it is "pretty well-known" that
P&G is a front for Satanic organizations - that is what the logo of the man
in the moon and stars means.  At least that is what the urban legends would
have us believe.  Every few years, that "pretty well-known" fact crops up
and causes P&G headaches.

As the animal companion community has become more and more aware of abuses
in industry, the term "animal testing" has developed decidedly negative
connotations.  The trouble is, that the term covers a wide range of
practices that range from the beneficial to the irresponsible and cruel
and everything in between.  It can be said that some of the shelters
on the FML who make ferret sleep sacks and other ferret-related items
engage in "animal testing." Each of those items has been "tested" on the
ferrets in the shelter and appropriate design modifications have been made
to make those items better.  Not one ferret was traumatized mentally or
physically - in fact, if experiences here are any indication, the ferrets
had a ball.  I have made many different toys for the ferrets here and each
time have made changes once the ferrets have tested the initial designs.