From:
"Domenic J. Michaux" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:28:40 -0500
I have visited the website of modern ferret and I found out why they
stopped publishing.  It mentions nothing, that I could see, about what to
do for un-fullfilled subscriptions.  After receiving numerous personal
(more than 10) e-mails from people I am lead to believe that we will
never see our magazines or our money.  I would be very cautious about
ordering things from these people in the future because I see that they
still sell numerous items.  On a personal note, I am very sorry to see
that they have lost 2 of their ferrets recently.  They certainly looked
to be very nice people who love ferrets.

Miss Dom

[Moderator's note: And that's the problem: they ARE nice people who love
ferrets who seem convinced the magazine will publish again and they will
make good on all the subscriptions.  Personally, I've met Mary and Eric
and I've spoken to them at some length sometimes, but I can't excuse
cashing checks for merchandise (not limited to magazines) that is still
being advertised if there is no way for them to ship it.

And yet, the other side is they have spent lots of their own money on
mailings to help ferrets and on donations to ferret-worthy causes.  And
they still do some of that (such as providing free e-mail domains.)

Some time back they mentioned that most products ordered are actually
shipped by a fulfillment house so there should be no problem receiving
them.  I don't know if this is still the case.

So I really don't know what to say.  If merchandise is being ordered and
checks being cashed with no intention of the products being shipped then
I have little sympathy for Mary and Eric.  I hope that is not the case.
Mary, Eric... I hope you'll prove it's not the case?  BIG]