From:
"Benita G. Booker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:17:01 EST
Hi,

Slow your roll.  The military person who hid the ferret in the locker was
wrong all the way around.  They know the rules of the game.  Depending on
the type of barracks and what branch they are in.  They could have gotten
a gold fish.  I take it someone mentioned about telling the Commanding
Officer.  We'll, so be it.  That's apart of the game.  Each time you
decide to go against the rules, you play with the consequences.  I am
not sure what branch they were in.  But, lockers can be checked.  When
you sign the doted line or lines.  You know what you are given up.  I
understand what happens in the military.  I am a disabled veteran,
Persian Gulf Vet, and a female that loved to deploy.... If a military
person had a 24 hour notice or less to deploy what would he have done
with the pet.  He has already defied the rules once to take a chance to
harbor a pet in his locker.  Whose to say, he doesn't leave the pet there
in the locker while he is gone?  For fear of being caught.  Pet dies,
maggots come and the cycle of decomposition happens.  There are enough
break downs that occur in the military.  There are reasons why there are
rules in the military... I believe that military people should follow
the rules of the game.  If they break the rules, they are subjecting
themselves to being caught.  You take the chance of someone telling on
them....... That's a part of the game.  I use to be the senior person in
a barracks room.  If an inspection came through and one of the other
people did not do something right.  I was penalized for it.  And then
there was H*** to pay... I loved to party.  And having to give up my
time to clean for someone else's fault was not a part of my daily plan...
I all actuality that whole room could get in trouble.

People don't always do what is right in the military... But, there are
rules.... I had a kitten, lived off base by myself, fortunate to be able
to live off base after the gulf.  I found out one day upon arriving to my
duty station that they wanted me to deploy in a couple of hours... I had
just picked up my grandmother for a stay the day earlier.  Now, I have to
get ready to pack out, get my grandmother back home 4 hours away, make
arrangements for my kitten.  All this to say.... There are reasons things
are the way they are.

Military people are a special breed.  There are other ways of wanting
something to love.  Hiding a pet is unexceptable and making excuses is
also unexceptable.  When you have been in a War type atmosphere, you will
see why rules are meant to be followed.  It really doesn't matter how big
or how small the rule was that was broken.  Following rules in the
states, plays as a guide to help you with the rules of War.  It could be
life or death...

Also, when you are in the military, your personal life is really not your
personal life... You are in the military 24-7-365.  There are so many
variables that could come up when one rule is broken....

But, don't get me wrong, I am happy the person is taking care of this
with his pet by looking for assistance.  But, I should hope the person
has learned something.  I was very hesitate to be around people who broke
rules in the states when we were in the Gulf... It was a discipline
issue... People who were not disciplined cost injuries to others when
their weapons discharged in the camps.

Take Care all and Give Hugs to the Slinkies of your life,
Benita