From:
Katherine Kuckens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 1996 18:08:01 -0400
I'm wondering if one of my recent adoptees is blind.  Chip and Dale came to
me undersomewhat clouded circumstances, like the previous owner promised
they would be vaccinated before giving them up, and didn't, and now doesn't
return phone calls.

Anyway, Chip is a big sweet gorgeous dark-eyed white male, and Dale is a
scrawny, skittery, red-eyed badger or silver or something.  They are about
4.5 years old and VERY attached to each other, always sleep curled up
together, and play nicely, etc.  Neither has EVER tried to bite me or my
children, although both viciously attack my precious first ferret, Cody, to
my endless grief.  Dale's behavior leads me to believe she might be blind.
She always flinches or jumps when you touch her, even if you are talking
gently and right in front of her.  She never chases a toy even if it's
rolled right by her, but other times she will play with something that she
has "run across." I see her nose her way around the cage and rooms, and
often she bangs into unexpected things like open cage doors or clothes left
out.  She has trouble figuring out how to get from one level of her condo
cage to another, as if she can't see the ramps.  I wonder if this is why
Chip n Dale are so inseparable.  She needs him and he is protecting her.
Meanwhile, she is a happy little ferret and doesn't seem limited at all by
this.  She always gives me lots of kisses when I pick her up.  Are there any
other ways I could determine if she's really blind?  Is this common in
certain types of ferrets?  And will I EVER find a way for them to get along
with Cody?  I'm resigned to separate play and love times, and it's
disappointing.

P.S.  Dayna, re: Mazuri.  I've heard a lot about it from chatters on the
ferret board on AOL.  It's hard to find in stores here on Long Island, New
York area.  I haven't found it YET, although there are rumors that it's here
somewhere.  Lots of AOL ferret friends rave about Mazuri.  The toll-free
number for Mazuri is 1-800-227-8941.  God bless you in your work.

Kat