Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 08:58:01 -0400
Thank you to everyone for the supportive emails regarding my suspension
from work for attending to my ill ferret.  My union filed a grievance,
against the fire department, and I will now attend a grievance hearing
tomorrow (Wednesday) while on duty.  The union has stated that "this
denial of EAL (emergency annual leave) and discipline to be capricious
and arbitrary along with discriminatory in nature."  The requested remedy
"Completely rescind discipline by remittance of 13.1 hours of pay, then
deduct 13.1 hours from Annual Leave balance." I agree with getting my
pay, but not the 9.6 hours that I was suspended added to my 3.5 hours of
vacation time, but I'll ask the union rep tomorrow.  If the city doesn't
accept this grievance, then it's going to be a long rough road ahead with
lawyers dealing with discrimination and hostile work environment.  Every
day at work now I hear sarcastic comments from men such as "Hey Diane, how
was your ferret day off?  I'm gonna bring my gerbil to work", and "Hey
Diane, we're all gonna bring our pets in to work from home".  I just smile,
say "go for it", and walk away.  A "special order" was posted in the
required daily readings that we have to sign that listed I was suspended
for violating R&R's.  (If any of these idiots could read- they would see
that these are bogus charges, because they don't pertain to the situation).
Politics, what a joke.  I'll post again after the grievance procedures.

Thanks again for the support!

Sincerely, Diane L. Hinck, Sammy, Nipper, & Gizmo
Please visit my web site at http://mypage.goplay.com/dhinck/