From:
Clare Sebok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 14:39:55 -0500
Neural tube defects: In humans, neural tube defects are strongly associated
with folic acid deficiency in very early pregnancy.  I wonder if a vitamin
deficiency could cause this problem in ferrets.

Vaccine reactions: I'd like to repeat our experience for the newcomers.  Two
years ago, Ben and Jerry had delayed vaccine reactions.  Jerry's reaction
started about three hours after getting Fervac, and Ben's started about 5
hours after the shot.  This is a very unusual occurrence, but we learned a
few things from this experience:

1. It's best to keep an eye on ferrets for several hours after vaccinations.

2. Everyone should find out now, while everything is OK, where to take your
   ferrets in case of an emergency.  Do not assume that every emergency
   clinic is a good place for ferrets.  Get a recommendation from a ferret
   club or trusted veterinarian.  Have the phone number handy.

3. If you have to take a ferret to an emergency clinic to be treated for
   a vaccine reaction, take all just-vaccinated ferrets along, just in case.

When Jerry had her reaction, it was clear that she needed emergency
treatment.  We searched frantically through piles of unsorted papers, trying
to locate a Baltimore Ferret Club newsletter containing an emergency clinic
recommendation.  Fortunately, I found the phone number of the Baltimore
Ferret Club's president, Diane Rogers, who gave me the information I needed.
I don't know what we would have done if she had not been home.  Without
thinking, we just put all of our ferrets (3 back then) into their travel
cage and sped off to the emergency clinic.  Jerry was treated immediately
and kept for an observation period.  While we were waiting, Ben started
having a severe reactiontoo.  We were so glad we hadn't left her home.

Ben and Jerry both survived that ordeal, and are still healthy at age 6.  I
just want to remind everyone of the importance of knowing where to take your
ferrets in an emergency before one actually happens.

Clare Sebok