From:
Andre Klefenz / Jennifer Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 1995 14:21:28 -0400
Re. murray the monster

In my experience, toes get nipped when a ferret is not getting attention!
They dont do the toe-nip-and-run routine out of anger or anything, he is
trying to get you to chase him. Although it is not a hateful thing on the
ferrets part, is sure isnt something that should get rewarded... I have a 2
year old (NEVER ever bites) and a 6 month old who hides under the couch and
waits for you to sit down so she can run out, nip your toe and run away,
backwards, hissing ;) what I do is make a quick grab for her and I ping her
on the nose. If it takes more than a couple of tries to catch her, I let
her go- she wont remember what the scolding is for by then-  On the other
hand, you need to take care that he doesnt learn that if he tries to run
away he will get away with the nip, or that you WILL chase him when he nips
(its what he is after in the first place) challenging enough for you??? you
might try spraying bitter apple on your socks too if you like, I dont find
it very helpful because the ferrets smell it on your feet and learn not to
nip, only when they smell it!

Jen and Newton and the little Dobeymonster!