From:
"J. Matthew Saunders" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 09:16:57 -0400
April asks:
>what does it mean when they take their little hands and put them at their
>neck and then pull them over their heads and face.

As I understand it, they are pulling scent from the neck area down.  In
nature it would be one of the ways they would indicate who they are.  One
of mine (while I'm shaving, before I shower so I'm still and have stinky
feet) will occasionally drag scent from my feet in the morning and then
place it over his ears and face.  I take it as a great compliment when he
does this.

>2. When they are first waking up, they also take their paws and put
>them in their mouths and pull their nails through their teeth.  Are
>they cleaning their teeth or their nails?  I trim their nails every
>3 to 4 weeks.  Is this a hint that I need to do it more often?

This sounds a little fishy.  Is it a pawing at the mouth?  If your kid is
pawing, you should take him/her to the vet.  Pawing at the mouth is a sign
of discomfort.  On the other hand, my kids regularly groom their paws
(lick, lick, nibble nibble, lick, lick, nibble nibble), if this is the
sort of behaviour then you likely have nothing to worry about.

>When she runs, they "muscle up" and don't look so bad, but when relaxing,
>she looks like she's had one too many Cheweasels!  Has anyone encountered
>this?

Exercise!  Chase her around.  Wrestle with her.  Give her as much time out
of the cage as possible.  It will help tone up her muscles.  Even so, I
don't think it is much to worry about.

Becki Kain writes:
>Figment has taken up drinking guinness beer which is very bizarre becauase
>she doesn't like any normal ferret treats, like raisins.

Please don't let Figment have much beer.  They are very small animals and a
tiny amount of alcohol can affect them pretty seriously.  One of my kids
likes beer and wine ALOTand gets the occasional lick but no more than that.
That being said, alcohol shouldn't be used as a regular treat.

Cheers!
Matthew in VA, soon to be in CO.