From:
William and Michelle Echols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 08:29:16 -0700
got 3 new rescues..... biters.....adults

female starting to roan... 'Squirt'

albino male..'Tweek', and huge male, no tats, silver mitt, 'Lumpy'

No info re history, ages, meds, or even their names..those we had to
come up with! it was a dump n run.

problem. ok, they were/are fear biters.... that we can handle, lots of
loves, no hit policy, etc.. (Lumpy is not cringing as much when we go
to pick him up for loves)

other problem, in watching them closely, the 3 seem to really 'play
hard' together, big time, so, am making assumption here that they also
bite to the bone (human) because they are used to nailing each other,
hard, with minimal human socialization.. None of them have wounds,
punctures from rough housing with each other, but with the possible
long term conditioning of hard biting (yes, both Willie n I have scabs
from before i brought in the leather gloves), how does one 'teach' an
older ferret not to bite hard?

Am used to running around barefoot doing the weasel shuffle, and now
have to wear combat boots! Half-breeds don't do well in white man
shoes, and am Tai Chi walking for fear of stepping on someone.

i did try smearing Vicks on the upper rims of my boots... they really
liked it!

They have obviously been free running at some time before, given how
astute they are re cupboards, fridge checking, luckily home built for
weasels.

Can't 'blend' them with our older group, the lil female is an attack
'kill kill kill', the boys, were fine with each other

anyway, verbosity aside, biters, how to gentle them into understanding
old human skin not tough..as an RN in hospital, open wounds on hands,
not good...

ideas?

hugs,
michelle