From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:13:46 -0500
Hmmmm, a friend saw a mention of ferrets and SARS on a CNN scroll, so off
to check I went.  Nope, CDC and WHO do NOT mention ferrets in relation to
SARS in anything I searched, so did CNN make the mistake of confusing
them with Chinese Ferret Badgers?

Off to Google to look at various news services by searching on "SARS and
ferret".  Okay, the BBC and Vanguard have pretty much identical things
both with the error of an inserted "and" to make it "ferret and badger"
instead of "ferret badger" as being found with SARS: taking one animal
type and changing it to 2.  Perhaps CNN picked up on one of those and
didn't realize the error which was present.  So, I have sent out letters
to each of them (and I request that others keep checking these articles
and watching the CNN scroll bar to send in later corrections from as many
people as it takes *IF* the correction isn't there when you check.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3081478.stm

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/features/fe509092003.html

If the CNN error continues go to
http://www.cnn.com/feedback/
to let them know.

If you think that is a minor thing remember that sadly there are those
who panic and react in sensationalistic ways, including some politicians,
so such errors can cause problems for ferrets in communities where the
political figures don't CHECK on reports.

BTW, sensationalizing and false reports -- which often do tend to be
sensationalistic to get attention for the poster (till readers learn that
the same people keep crying "Wolf!") -- don't only happen in the media.
I've heard that the rumor mill is at it again in relation to diet and
health -- yelling about something without any proof or even without the
topic making sense once it is checked into as a way to get attention...
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggghhhhhhhh.