From:
Michelle Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:49:12 PDT
I have found, through trial an error, a way to get pet stores to pass out
ferret pamphlets.  First, I printed off a pamphlet I found on the internet
and took it to a pet store and asked them if they would be so kind as to
give it to people who purchase, or are thinking about purchasing ferrets.
They said no, it would defeat the purpose of them selling ferret books.  If
they wanted to know about ferret care, they could buy a book as well.  Well
I noticed alot of people didn't do that.  They just got the ferrets.

So here is what I did, I compiled info on ferret care, and then modified it
for each store.  For example, when talking about what to feed, I would put
in the pamphlet what kind of food is recomended, and then state that "this
store sells several of these brands and they can be found in aisle 9" or
whatever.  Or for cages, I would put down what cages were thought best and
say this stores carries blah blah blah models.  I would also put the names
of good ferret books to read, and mention what books the store happened to
be selling, and whether or not they would be willing to order certain books
for the customers.

It really worked great and I did not have a pet store refuse my offer after
that.  By doing it this way, I was able to get the information across, plus
the store was getting some free advertising for the "proper" ferret
supplies.

Chelle