From:
Scott Sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:29:42 EST
Hi...Dr. Williams...a few months ago I contacted you via the FML about one
of our male ferrets that has a diagnosed polycystic kidney disease.  It is
bi-lateral in nature.  A large cyst finally developed on his left kidney...
about the size of a ping pong ball and we had our vet reduce it via needle
from the exterior.  He rebounded for a month or so with his usual vigor and
play behaviour...his eating habits have never changed much...cyst or not
although he hads slowly lost sub Q mass.

The cyst has returned...same kidney and about the same size.  We are taking
him in today to get it "drained" once again.

My question to you is: will this be a recurring problem on a monthly basis
or so...since we can't look at a nephrectomy for obvious reasons.  These
have been the only two cysts that have expressed themselves so far.  I
understand that it will get nothing but worse and that eventually we have
to put him to sleep.  His quality of life and vigor so far are fine but if
he declines a bit more we will have to make the hard decision.

Any thoughts or advice at this point?

Putorious