From:
Tracie Belongia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 20:19:54 EDT
Dear FML'ers,
You know, after running a shelter for 5 years, you would think you would
become more accustomed to losing ferrets to disease and old age and
accept their passing with a bit more ease.  Not so.  I cry each and every
time I lose a ferret- but I was hardest hit when I lost my very first
ferret, Bee Bee.  If any of you ever bought or saw the ferret harness &
leash set " Ferret Fun 5-N-One" made by Premier Pet Products- That was my
Bee Bee.  I worked at the company for some time- and Bee Bee was their
"Poster Boy" There was nothing outstanding about his looks- just a plain
MF ferret who had his first adrenal surgury when he was 4 yrs old- then
he had 2 Lupron shots which lasted for the next 4 years- Then he had
a mild siezure and his blood sugar tested at 53.  He was put on
Prednisone - he had another siezure 6 weeks later.  His Pred was slightly
increased.

For some dumb reason, I felt he was invincible- after all- he was 8 years
old, and my "PERSONAL" ferret.  Bee Bee would curl up in your arms and
kiss your face for an hour.  He would give butterfly kisses to your
eyebrows.  He snuffled in your ears, and he loved to hide potatoes.  He
never bit, except maybe the backs of your knees under the covers- and he
had a bad habit of sniffing people's butts if they were squatting at his
level.  Bee Bee crashed last week, quite suddenly- he had no responses
and was partially hemmoraghing- I rushed him to the vet- where Dr. Mike
had tears in his eyes as he looked down at Bee Bee- I cradled his
precious head in my hands and whispered to him how much I loved him, and
how he would see all of his old friends and I promised him he would never
hurt again.  Then he was gone.

I cried and howled all the way home, with him resting in his blanket on
my lap.  He has a special grave in my flower garden, with an Irish Cross
and a headstone with his name on it -I can see his grave from my kitchen
window every morning.  Bee Bee, I'm crying as I type these words, but I
wanted to share you with others so they would know to please cherish each
& every day with your ferret- or any pet.  Because they are not
invincible.  Bob C.- you were right- when you said that one day there
would be a hole in your heart where there was once a funny ferret.  I
miss you Bee Bee.  It's because of you that I started the Richmond Ferret
Rescue League.  I love you Bee Bee.

God, please take care of him.  He was so special- even if it was just to
me.  Sadly,

Marlene B. & the Richmond Ferret Rescue League, Richmond VA.

Marlene Blackburn
Richmond Ferret Rescue League
Richmond, Virginia