From:
"Zaske, Cherri" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 07:54:46 -0600
Unfortunately, even if your ferrets never go outside if you live in a place
that has fleas your ferrets will get fleas because you will bring them in
with you.

When I lived in Florida I had fleas in my house and I didn't even have pets.

To get the fleas off my ferrets I use a flea comb.  Only because my ferrets
usually end up with so many fleas on them every day I can't wash them all
the time.  I make it a daily ritual that when they go back into their cage
I will flea comb them over the toilet to get all the fleas off.  (Flea
combing will also let you know if they have fleas or not)

To get the fleas out of my house (we had them really bad this year) I used
Boric Acid (I found mine at the pet store, I also saw other products that
have boric acid in them) the vet said that boric acid is safe for animals.
It is a carpet powder that the fleas eat and die.  It did have to be
applied and then set for 48 hours but I just housed my ferrets in the
kitchen while I applied it and then let them run in the bathroom when they
were out for the next couple of days.  For the next 2 weeks I did notice
that the fleas did diminish and now I'm not getting bit anymore either.

I know other people use the pills that you can get from the vet but I would
be scared that I gave them the wrong dose.  I find that flea combing is
right for me and my ferrets and they don't stress out as much.  They'lll
sit there and let me comb them unlike when I sprayed them..  Boy they hated
that.

Anyway I hope this helps.

Cherri
Bugsy - Mom will you get me out of the tub now?? I can get in but just
        can't seem to master the out.
Skippy - MOM!! You have Cheerios!  Please give me one.. please.. please...
         pleeeeeaaassseee.