From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:34:11 -0500
We were just informed that Montville, CT animal control just took in 19
ferrets from a hoarding situation. 1 had to be euthanized leaving 18
needing placement. (40 animals total in a one room apartment!).

The Montville Animal Control facility is a typical pound. While the
ferrets are safe and being cared for, the pound is drafty and not
adequately heated, so they cannot stay there long.

Connecticut Humane has taken 2 of the ferrets and a shelter in
Stonington, CT has taken 4 leaving 11 that need to be relocated. Of
course, like most other shelters in this economy, we are already at
capacity.

I will be going down there Wednesday to check on the ferrets and pull
out at least 4 or 5 concentrating on those that seem to be the
oldest/neediest. (The ACO said there were at least 2 showing hair
loss).

Can any shelter help out by taking any of these poor kids? Sorry, we
won't have any specifics as to ages/sex until I can get down there.

Also, if anyone in the NY/NJ/PA area can take anyone, we can probably
arrange transport to northern NJ in the next couple of weeks as Tamara
from Concerned Ferret Owners will be coming to our shelter store sale
on 12/11. Hopefully she can transport some to that area if anyone can
in that area can help. Not having spoken with her as yet, not sure if
her shelter has any capacity.

If we can get commitments, we can probably place the remaining ferrets
in short term housing until they can be picked up.

Please contact me directly if you can help. Thank you!

Ann Gruden
President Ferret Assn of CT