Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 18:25:45 -0500
HI Sukie and FLMers!

For MetroFerret (Metropolitan NY/NJ Ferret Welfare Society, Inc.), you
know that we are just starting out.  What we are going for is a club,
non-profit, federally exempt organization with at least 25 members.  Once
we have that, we can apply for grants, and do fund-raisers, raffles and
sales to support the shelters.  We can do education days at schools and pet
stores.  There are only a handful of us involved so far.  We're trying to
move things along as quickly as possible.

I'be glad to send you a flyer, which is about all that's ready.  The
Membership Applications and Shelter Sponsor Applications are just about
done, and should be going out this week.  The webpage is almost done.  We
filed our Application for a Business License and Incorporation in NJ.  We
also filed our NJ Charities Registration.  When all of that comes back, we
will file for Federal Non-Profit 501(c)3 status, and an Application for
Authority to do business in NY State.  It's really alot of work, and we
hope to be ready and going by 1/1/2000.

As for clubs, I know about LOS NJ, which is unfortunately no longer around.
Personally, I've gotten in touch with about 5 other clubs, NY, PA, CT, NC.
Meagan has been contacting other clubs for info, too.  I've only talked to
1 other official club about teaming up, but they are just forming, too.
Our priorities are shelter support and community education, but before we
can do that on the level that we are planning, we have to get off the club
off of the ground!  I'm not familiar with the Garden State Ferret Club, but
I wil look into it.  Funny that I haven't been able to find any clubs in my
area.  My friends from NY seem to agree (therefore the NY part), and it
seems that several of the shelters may be looking for clubs, too.  If there
are any clubs or people out there in the NY/NJ Metropolitan Areas that are
interested, please feel free to drop me a note.

Even if you aren't the club-joining type (neither am I, just the
ferret-lovin'-type), I could really use your input in many areas.  We
are also planning on having a newsletter, probably quarterly.  I would
love it if you would consider writing an article for us!

Please feel free to e-mail me!  We'll let you know more as we get closer to
being ready!

Dooks!

Tracy