From:
jeffrey hopko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:41:09 -0800
In yesterday's FML I hurredly wrote about My Clyde and a temporary rectal
prolapse.  To the caring respondants from sukiec; susiezoo; and res1dybe,
I now publicly post the following personal response given to each of you:

Thank you all for the response regarding my Clyde.  I guess I have
just been too worried of a Daddy about him since his january diarrhoea
episode, feeding him Bob Church Gravy for two months, etc.  His prolapse
was only momentary, and disappeared after a few minutes.  No excessive
swelling, or any bleeding.  Nothing to speak of today either.  Thanks
for your advice and experience.  [log in to unmask]

---I guess with a rescue 4 YO MF ferret that has gone through scary
although not lethal times, I have gotten a bit gunshy.---

Since Clyde's diarrhoea episode and recovery, he has become fixated on
Wellness Adult5 adult cat food, and has completely abandoned the Zupreem
Premium, the 8-in-1 ferret food, and the Walthams Kitten food he had
eaten previously.

The Wellness is a decent product on the label, but in my coddling of him,
Clyde has had supervised visits to 'The Other Side Of The Gate' where he
chooses to eat the most base of cat and dog foods!!!

Base Food One: Alpo Gourmet Dinner.  First Five Ingredients: Ground
Yellow Corn; Poultry By-Product Meal; Corn Gluten Meal; Soybean Meal;
Beef Tallow preserved with mixed-tocoperols.

Base Food Two: Pedigree Adult Nutrition for Adult Dogs (small crunchy
bites).  First Five Ingredients: Ground Yellow Corn; Meat and Bone Meal;
Corn Gluten Meal; Chicken By-Product Meal; Animal Fat (beef flavor
source, BHA/BHT included).

How can a Bob Church Soup-nourished ferret go so wrong in food desire?  I
will in no way allow Clyde to eat more than one chunk of this vile stuff,
but he gives the time and effort to reduce a dog kibble down to edible
size.

Clyde still eats 90%+ of his diet in Wellness Adult5 adult cat food,
which as mentioned earlier has decent nutritional measures.  He has built
and maintained strength and weight since his health episode, and I no
longer need to feed him manually.

Could the prolapsed rectum be caused by a change in diet ( by Clyde
sneaking some specialized cat food ) on the sly?  We have some niche cat
food on premises, yet when over The Gate he is supervised at all times.

Thank You to All in the FML.

Missing my Bridge Players: Miss Katt, Susie, Rocky, Calvin, Snowy, Starr,
and Hobbes.  Cherishing Bonnie and Clyde.