From:
"Viki S. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:44:47 -0500
Ferret Friends,

Alderman Rey Colon's office was kind enough to fax the five page
ordinance to my attention.  It does, indeed, specify ferrets.  The
aldermen listed at the end are Edward M.  Burke (14th Ward) and Shirley
A. Coleman (16th Ward).  Section (b)4 lists the following:

"All fur bearing mammals of the family Mustelidae, including, but not
limited to, weasel, marten, mink, badger, ermine, skunk, otter, pole cat,
zorille, wolverine, stoat, and ferret."

This was lifted directly from the City of New York ordinance, as section
C specifically states:

"(c) In addition to domesticated dogs and cats, an animal may be kept,
possessed, harbored or sold in the City of New York provided that
possession of the animal is not otherwise prohibited by law..."

They didn't even bother to thoroughly check their own ordinance.  They
just borrowed New York City's.  Essentially, they are listing ferrets
among animals that may harm the public if they escape.  Please contact
any ferret owners in and around the city of Chicago to notify them of
this ridiculous ordinance before we are forced to surrender our pets to
the authorities to "make whatever disposition of it as may be prescribed
under policies approved by the commission."

We need to convince our alderman that ferrets are domesticated animals.
They are listing them among dangerous, obviously wild animals.

Many thanks for your attention to this matter!

Viki S. Rollins
Outraged Ferret Parent