From:
Jean Squires <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:30:27 -0700
My 3 boys get along fine with my baby.  She is 1 now.  I used to catch
Midnight sleeping with her until I blocked off that part of the house.

HOWEVER, This is not always the case.  Several months ago I took in a
little girl with a biting problem.  She stopped biting me and was full of
kisses but she would come up through the couch and bite my 3 year old son
repeatedly and unprovoked.  He would just be sitting there watching TV, she
bit my husband when he would pick her up.  We ended up keeping her in the
cage unless the kids were in bed or napping.  She made it into the babies
room and climbed into the crib when the baby was sleeping.  She bit her on
the legs and hand several times before we got to them.  I believe she saw
the baby move and that scared her so she bit.  She didn't go 'Looking for
the baby to bite her'.  My son was terrified of her and would scream when
he thought she was out and it was impossible to keep her.  I took her to
FURRY because I new they would place her in a suitable home.  I wish she
would have trusted my family like she trusted me.

Her life before us was hard.  She spent her first year of life living in
a laundry basket, unspayed and on the verge of death.  My sister-in-law's
mother took her from that hell but they didn't know much about ferrets and
kept her in a cage because she would bite whoever picked her up.  They did
take her to the vet first thing and had her spayed.  She was in great
physical shape with a beautiful soft coat.  They fed her FERRET FOOD.

Anyway, my point is I don't believe ferrets go looking to attack babies but
sometimes things happen.  My baby is good with the other ferrets and we
always watch the kids with them.  Kids are kids and ferrets are ferrets.