From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:35:01 -0600
Here's a question for the vets on the list, or anyone else in possession of
the answer.  In the last month Buddy (6-7 years old; adopted; very late
neutering; somewhat arthritic; shedding a rough coat; minor left eye
infection responding favorably to treatment--otherwise in perfect health)
has developed what appears to be some sort of dermatitis, possibly
seborrhoeic in nature, on his right rear foot.  No other area of his body is
affected, nor are any other animals in the household exhibiting similar
symptoms.  The area does not appear painful to touch, nor is the foot
favored in play or other normal activities.  Buddy does not exhibit
repetitive licking behaviors, nor has he come into contact with any material
which might have caused an allergic reaction (as far as can be determined
with a ferret).  He eats a normal diet, takes petromalt once a week,
ferrettone every odd day, and the equivilent of two raisins in fruit and
vegetable snacks per day.  His stools are unremarkable.  He weighs 3.2 lbs;
an increase of 1.5 lbs since adoption, but has very little body fat except a
thin covering over his lower abdomen.  Muscle tone is very good.  His mental
attitude (aside from a lowered intelligence level possibly related to
inbreding) is alert, playful, and unfearful.  Rabies and distemper
vacinations are up to date.

Specific symptoms include a slightly reddened, raised appearence to the
right rear foot pads, moderate cracking and scaling of the pads and
interdigital webbing, some minor yellowish opaque pasty exudate (with
associated stuck hair) that feels greasy to the touch, and an overall
appearence of a slight (about 10-20%) thickening of the entire foot distal
from the ankle.  There is no difference in skin temerature between the
affected and unaffected areas.  Joint movement is basically unimpaired,
although limited somewhat by the thickening of the foot pads.  Plantar
flexion of the phalanges is similarly limited.  The pads of the other three
paws are completely normal in appearence and function.

My gut reaction is that this is probably some sort of a seborrhoeic or
exudative dermatitis, perhaps a minor cellulitis, but I have not seen such
things in mustelids before, and my vet is out of town for the next couple of
weeks.  This doesn't seem to be something of an emergency nature, so I have
decided to wait until he gets back for specific treatment.

I want to start application of a cortisone cream perhaps twice a day, and/or
the application of vit.  E to the pads.  Any idea of safe strengths for
ferret-use?  Should I start antibiotics or otherwise worry about bacterial
involvement?  Or is my diagnosis dangerously stupid, and I need to get my
bass in gear?  (How's that for fishing for answers?) Any suggestions?

Bob and the 13 Snake Weasels