From:
"Bruce H. Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 02:17:51 -0700
To Kate:

>My instinct does not want to put a flea collar on Em and also doesn't
>want to use the Temaril P. I do want to consider keeping on with miticide
>and ear cleaning, plus weekly baths. But not being a doctor I would like
>to check this out to see if I'm just being balky.

    Good for you.  I don't like flea collars (or any collars on ferrets).
They invariable end up in the wrong area, and often in the mouth.
Organophosphates are not what you want in Emmets mouth.  While Temaril-P
probably won't hurt, always feel free to question your vet.

>Also having an overactive imagination I worry a lot--a) if he has mites
>will they get to his brain and give him convulsions and he'll Die A
>Horrible Death

    No.  But if they do, let me know - that'd be a first...:) b) if I use
miticide will he get systemic poisoning from it and Die A Horrible Death?

    Well, most ear mite medications aren't absorbed.  But this one depends
on what you are using....

 and c) if he takes the Temaril will his glands go weird and swell him
up and he'll D. A. H. D. . .?

    No.  Ferrets are pretty resistant to cortisone except in high dosages
(higher than in Temaril-P).  The anithistamine may make him sleepy, but
not much else.

>And is there any safe lotion to put on him to soothe his skin?

    You can try Avon Skin-so-Soft.  A dilute solution won't be quite so
greasy, and will help with any fleas that may (or may not) be there.

Bruce H. Williams, DVM         Dept. of Veterinary Pathology
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath    Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
[log in to unmask]         Washington, D.C.  20306-6000