Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 13:13:13 -0400
*****IMPORTANT and USEFUL: While we are discussing how absolutely essential
it is that people care properly for their pets I was reminded that we need
to update our will so that the ferrets, supplies, and monies allocated to
the their care go to Joe Martins since Hanan moved.  Life's just been way
too busy and complicated recently.  Anyway, if you are also concerned about
what will happen to your ferrets should you be in an accident or have a
serious illness there was an article in the N.Y.  Times on the website:
http://www.finalthoughts.com which is run by an attorney.  The site helps
you instruct those who will have your ferrets and other non-human family
members, helps with estate planning, allows to store messages to be sent
to those you want to receive them after you pass away, and so on.*****

BTW, I agree that people who won't provide care should not have critters.
There is a middle ground, though.  Some shelters offer fostering situations
in which the foster home provided the day to day care, but the shelter
covers medical needs at a vet determined by the shelter.  That sort of
arrangement allows those who don't have much money to not be deprived of
this companionship while it also allows shelters to be less crowded.

It's important that people learn from and bookmark health sites.  Three
which head our list of useful websites are:
1.  http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
2.  http://www.ferretcentral.org  (the medical FAQ)
3.  http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc

They exist because truly wonderful people have been kind enough to help
others, and they are marvelous.