From:
Crowley Cabal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 1995 22:07:38 -0400
Diane was asking about ferret proofing kitchens...
Finnegan has run of the house, (most of the time) with either his cage or the
bathroom for confinement.  Luckily, our new home didn't need much work, but
many times, you will need to put 2x4's around the base of the refrigerator
and make sure that there are not any crawl spaces behind & inside cabinets &
appliances that ferrets like to hide/sleep in.   Or oven is unproofable-- he
likes to sleep under it.  However it is easily accessible, and we don't use
it very frequently, so Finn hangs out in the bathroom when we are baking, or
such.

Proofing cabinets depends on what you have. In our last house, they were
flush with the frames, so we screwed 3 inch pieces of lathe between the
opening edges of the cabinet.  These could be twisted horizontally for
locking, or spun vertical for opening.  Unfortunately, our new cabinets
aren't flush.  For the moment, we just use a rubber band at high tension
around the knobs, but I am still looking for a better solution. (especially
since Finnegan discovered what fun baking supplies Really Are!)

One final note-- i just purchased a baby gate that works as both a pressure
and a swinging (both ways!) door.  It'll be delivered from Service
Merchandise tommorrow (they were out of stock) -- i will keep you posted if
it works well.  It is supposed to adjust to various width doorways, as well!.

ranting again.....
Elfyr & the Finn (you bought What??!!?)