From:
Judi Clausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:34:12 EDT
>4- PET SHOP INTERVENTION -You can try to dissuade shoppers - tactfully,
>at pet shops by offering advice and your experiences with the early
>alter ferrets-- how many shoppers will be excited to hear the costs of
>adrenal & insulinoma surgeries a few years down the road?  You may not
>last long but intervention at any costs is worth a try!

I'm fairly new to the "Ferret Game" and in reading the latest list
posts, my attention was drawn to the paragraph above, in regard to early
altering of ferrets.  When I found out that my ferrets, [and all sold in
local pet stores] had already been altered when purchased at only 8 weeks
of age, I was astounded!  But then, not knowing a lot about ferrets, I
figured the breeders, and pet stores, must know what they're doing,
etc....?  However, it seemed an awfully young age to me in comparison to
that I'd been used to for cats and dogs, for instance.  Now it sounds
like this early altering is NOT a good thing, and can cause health
problems for the ferrets in years to come, is that right?  Any further
info of this would be appreciated, for example if anyone knows of a
website that might tell me more, I'd appreciate it.  I'm trying to learn
all I can about ferrets since I've fallen in love with the species, have
3 now, and want to provide the best possible care for them.  Thanks!

Judi