From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2013 00:15:00 -0400
My eye is not happy today so find the many useful bits in these quoted
pieces, please.

It is absolutely essential that:

1. Any ferrets in shelters who do not have a clearly proven history
of having the properly times kit series of CD vaccines have a series
of two or three distemper vaccinations with one of the established
vaccines timed two to three weeks apart. One vaccine only is
INSUFFICIENT for a great many ferrets who come into shelters because
too many of those did not have the foundation series.

2. That measures be taken to prevent transmission between newly added
animals and existing animals (including shoe changes between rooms and
not using the same equipment in the different rooms).

3. That people realize that there ARE ways to treat now with the aim
of reducing losses when CDV (Canine Distemper Virus) breaks out in a
shelter such as vaccinating the rest and using Vitamin A
supplementation and antivirals.

etc.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/137/8/1916.long
which is
2007 American Society for Nutrition
Disease Manifestations of Canine Distemper Virus Infection in Ferrets
Are Modulated by Vitamin A Status

Brian Ward is now with a different university. I thanked him a few
years ago when his research helped cut losses at a ferret shelter.
He's a nice guy, and -- yes -- the amount mentioned in the article IS
accurate. (There is a lot of misplaced worry about getting too much
Vitamin A into ferrets. It can happen, of course, but overdose of
Vitamin A is much, much, much, much harder to achieve in animals with a
long ancestry of liver eating than it is to achieve in humans; on the
other hand it is much easier to wind up with animals who have either
crepuscular or nocturnal ancestry winding up with too much Vitamin D
whereas we humans need quite a lot of that.) Too little Vitamin A
leaves ferrets far more vulnerable to Canine Distemper. See the article
and the notes from shelters who have used this as part of their
approach since that article came out and was mentioned many dozens of
times on the FHL and FML.

See also:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL13494

QUOTE

Just as an FYI, I presented at the IFC in Pittsburgh a couple years or
so ago and mentioned high dose Vitamin A as a treatment option. I'm
glad that it's being investigated further - it's wonderful that it is
working for at least some of the ferrets.

Bottom line from this CDV experience is this:

1) There are treatment options for diseases that are being worked on
and studied every day. If a disease shows up and you don't mention it,
you won't find out about these treatment options. The ferret community
needs to be aware that coming out about such a thing is frightening and
those people who do should not be maligned for it, as no one wants to
have their shelter or home be the next one hit, and be afraid to seek
help by being open about it.

2) Ferrets with unknown or incomplete vaccination history need to
complete a series of vaccines (or have a titer run that shows a high
antibody level) before being considered protected.

Dr. Ruth

END QUOTE

For when Purevax is not available:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL14928

QUOTE

At this time, my personal recommendation when Purevax is no longer
available is to use Nobivac DPv it is the same distemper strain that
was in GalaxyD and therefore has proven effectiveness in ferrets. It
is, of course, off-label use and should be discussed with your own
veterinarian.

Dr. Ruth

END QUOTE

IMPORTANT: Notice that this is NOT Neovac which has NO proof that it
even works in ferrets.

Because the separate archives lacks recent posts but Yahoogroups has
the FHL down right now I am having to check what I have in files here
such as:

QUOTE OF A PIECE OF MY OWN

<http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/03/06/sharp-rise-in-distemper-among-st-louis-county-raccoons/>

Reminders:

Any ferret which did not have the full kit series and then the one year
annual booster will need two sequential canine distemper vaccines about
2 to three weeks apart. This also goes for shelters and people not
realizing this is thought to be an important part of why several
shelters have experienced Canine Distemper outbreaks.

Ferrets may not require annual canine distemper vaccines once they have
that important foundation, though individuals can vary so some might
need vaccines more often than others, and titers can give an idea of
the ferret's personal coverage. One of ours never maintained good
enough titer numbers from one year to the next to skip vaccination,
for example, but we had two others with such very high titer results
that they might have been more at risk of a reaction had they been
vaccinated. We use Cornell for the titers we have done. This study has
been completed but the submission form is something for you to save
http://www.ferret.org/pdfs/titer_study_cornell_form.pdf

A week ago I could not find it online so was glad to locate it again
so all can copy it and again have the contact info for submissions and
forms:
http://www.ferret.org/pdfs/titer_study_cornell_form.pdf

AHDL Contacts

NYS Animal Health Diagnostic Laboratory

College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University in Partnership with
the NYS Dept of Ag & Markets

AHDL Contacts

Phone: 607-253-3900
Fax: 607-253-3943
Web: diaglab.vet.cornell.edu
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

US Postal Service Address: PO Box 5786
Ithaca, NY 14852-5786

Courier Service Address: Upper Tower Rd Ithaca, NY 14853

Having sufficient Vitamin A onboard appears to give some increased
resistance and is an essential part of treatment in homes or shelters
when Canine Distemper occurs there. Full article for free:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/137/8/1916.long

Quoted Abstract (and the dosing is correct, having contacted Dr. Ward
while he was there):

The measles virus (MV) causes half a million childhood deaths annually.
Vitamin A supplements significantly reduce measles-associated mortality
and morbidity. The mechanisms whereby vitamin A acts against MV are
not understood and currently there is no satisfactory small animal
model for MV infection. We report on the development of a ferret model
to study antiviral activity of vitamin A against canine distemper
virus (CDV). CDV is closely related to MV at the molecular level and
distemper in ferrets mimics measles in humans. We infected vitamin
A-replete (control) and vitamin A-depleted ferrets with CDV and
assessed the ability of high-dose vitamin A supplements to influence
CDV disease. In control ferrets, CDV infection caused fever, rash,
conjunctivitis, cough, coryza, and diarrhea. In contrast, control
ferrets that were given 30 mg of vitamin A did not develop typical
distemper after infection and exhibited only a mild rash. The
supplement did not negatively affect ferret health and resulted in a
100% increase in serum and liver vitamin A concentrations. We also
found that profound vitamin A deficiency is inducible in ferrets and
can be rapidly reversed upon high-dose vitamin A supplementation.
Vitamin A deficiency caused anorexia, diarrhea, cataracts, behavioral
abnormalities, and ultimately death, with or without CDV infection.
All ferrets that received vitamin A supplements, however, recovered
uneventfully from CDV infection. These results replicate many aspects
of the observations of vitamin A therapy in humans with measles and
suggest that CDV infection in ferrets is an appropriate model for the
study of the antiviral mechanism of vitamin A.

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL9659
includes:

>I have communicated with Dr. Brian Ward who was one of the study
>authors and he sent this information for the FHL membership:

START QUOTE

Hello Sukie

No typo or error ... When we launched this study, we had no idea what
the kinetics of vitamin A deficiency and sufficiency were in ferrets
and we decided to give a good large dose to replenish depleted stores.
There was no toxicity associated with the 50,000IU daily dose x2 and
this dose is not so different from the WHO recommended 100,000 IU daily
for 3 days for small kids (a good sized ferret weighs ~1-1.5 kg in my
experience).

Brian

END QUOTE

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL13524

Canine Distemper has a friable envelop which is sensitive to heat and
lack of humidity, so on things like clothing under the most extreme
conditions used it can last for years if frozen in ice, but can fall
apart if exposed to very hot and dry conditions. Of course, when left
in a yard or park or on the bottom of your shoe in animal feces it is
somewhat protected by the feces and therefore more of a risk to your
ferret, and infected coughing and sneezing, or social grooming ferrets
or dogs also pose an obvious risk.

Missouri article:
<http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/03/06/sharp-rise-in-distemper-among-st-louis-county-raccoons/>

You will be able to find more on
<http://www.promedmail.org>
when that website has the new links in the menu on your left there.

END QUOTE [No START QUOTE matched this one. BIG]

This was part of a discussion on why it is important to know that
distemper can be carried in on clothing and especially on shoes. Sorry,
but I have only a patchwork in my own files and my eye limits what I
can do in terms of looking up things.

Because Canine Distemper does NOT show symptoms immediately, having a
space of asymptomatic time first, it may never be possible to know the
route but it IS possible to know how to minimize losses.

QUOTE of a past post of mine on CDV transmission from shoes: