From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 12:17:02 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    "Amy N." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help! Operation will be on Saturday!

Sounds like an inguinal hernia where the inguinal ring (where the spermatic
cord, nerves, blood vessels and so forth pass from the abdominal cavity to
the leg structures) is bigger than it should be.  Probably developmental in
nature and not related to the castration.  Most times, very easily repaired.

>From:    Lynda Reid <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Emergency medical advice needed--Mugsy!

I talked to Dr. Snyder last night and if this is a thymic form of juvenile
lymphoma, there is not much that can be done.  Some respond to chemotherapy,
some do not.

>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Stoats?, Vet Question
>VETS: I got a msg at work today from my vet - he called last night sort of
>worked up about a ferret problem he hopes you can help solve.

Could be vestibular disease, especially if it improved on steroids.

>From:    "MAX A. LERT" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Green Poop/Hair Loss/Vets in CA
>1.  There has been a smattering of green poop within the normal poop of my

>5 ferts.  It has not been all the time, just every once in a while.

If it is occasional, just monitor it for now.

>2.  One of the babies was a rescue from an abusive home.  He has always
>been a white/ skinny/ lab-rat looking male.  He is very active and seems
>fine in every other way ... except for his hair

The big concern is adrenal disease.  It should be looked at by a vet.  But
since ferrets are illegal (currently) in California, it may be difficult to
find a vet.  I m sure other people with ferrets in California will e-mail
you privately with suggestions.

>From:    Tryntje Miller <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Snoopy update, need help with medicine

I have owners use the amoxidrops until the end even though that is beyond
the two weeks expiration date after reconsitution.  It works fine.

If Snoopy is improving and your vet only wanted 5 days of the chloramycetin,
stop it.  I see no reason to add Flagyl (metronidazole) at this point.  If
the ferret is doing better, there is probably not an obstruction.

>From:    mulligan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret who is grinding teeth
>One of my Ferrets, femal/age unknown, has started to grind her teeth often.
>She also seems to be having some trouble with her bowel movements.

Although not 100%, grinding teeth is highly suggestive of stomach ulcers
(secondary to Helicobacter most of times).  See your vet for the appropriate
therapy.

>From:    Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Percy/Adrenal-MEDICAL ADVICE
>MEDICAL QUESTION:  Why is Percy balding?

Sounds pretty complete.  Hair loss in ferrets is typically adrenal disease.
If it is a weird presentation, the skin biopsy may not be typical either
though.  I would suggest the Univ. of Tennessee adrenal panel if not
already performed.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA