From:
MR DONALD A HOWE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 16:14:15 EST
I am writing in reference to your letter on bitting on the Ferret Digest.  I
think my husband wrote about one of the Ferrets we bought at the Crossgates
Mall before Christmas.  The pet store told us wiggles was about 20 weeks old
and they are full of it.  I believe he was only about 5 or 6 weeks and he
has had a problem with bitting from day one especially on the feet.  I do
tap his bottom and say no but that doesn't work so I am going to try your
ways.  I do have bitter apple but I do not intend to put it on my feet.  I
really believe down the road when he gets older he will get better.The only
time he really gets the best of me is in the morning when I first get up and
then as the day goes on he calms down, well on the feet anyway.

If you tease him like I do once and awhile he comes back at you but I really
expect that.  Every time he comes around me I pick him up and give him a
kiss which is not smart sometimes because he gets my nose or chin, and then
I hold him for a couple of minutes and then he gets wiggley and wants to go
down.  I have found out though that when he does bite I hold his bottom lip
and say no and that seems to be working for now.  I really enjoyed reading
your letter and please write more.  Oh by the way do you have any ideas on
why he doesn"t seem to be gaining weight?  I have bought every kind of cat
food on the market from Iams to Pro Plan to all types of cat food on the
market.  I also have the ferret pellets and he still does not gain any
weight.  My other ferret Wiggy has gained from day one.  I have given both
of them apples, rasins,carrots,bananas,cucumbers and grapes and he picks but
still doesn"t eat like I would like him to.

Please help if you can.  Thank You

          MSTN47A