From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:47:15 -0400
Server down for over 24 hours now. Don't know quite when will send this.

Kerry Gibbs wrote:
>Just was wondering : My last three ferrets that had distemper shots
>(fervac-D) all had a reaction to them, the all threw up and the last one
>threw up and was pawing at his mouth, all of them were giving .5 of
>benadryl prior to their distemper shot.
>
>Has anyone lately had this problem??  Now I am afraid to get my little
>girl Ms.Purdy her shot now!!

Vet should report that batch, esp. to manufacturer and distributor.  There
was a similar situation reported here at one time from the midwest with the
conclusion drawn that the distributor had improperly stored the medication.
Remember that as mild and nondescript a response as you describe may be but
is not necessarily an allergic reaction.

Theresa wrote:
>This went on for some time and now her stools are a golden, formed, but
>extremely large and pudding-like.  Recently she has gone back to having a
>few diarrheal episodes with mucous in the stool, a few orange and white
>bits, or a very soft brown/grey like color.  My vet and I are absolutely
>puzzled.

When ECE causes intestinal damage it is usually upper intestine so seedy
stools, if my memory serves.  Descriptions like your's sound more colonic,
if i recall particulars right.  Have you tried extended runs of medication
combinations for helicobacter?  Have you considered parasitic disease?
What about other GI tract illnesses, or allergies?  (Chicken is perhaps
the most common for ferrets .)

There is quite a write-up on such things on Bruce William's afip site but
I don't have the addy handy.
http://www.miamiferret.org is another great site for info, as is