From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:28:52 -0500
<http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?
pagename=media_tristatenewsalert&JServSessionIdr005=8zc1fquia1.app27b#1>

Antifreeze with ethylene glycol is, of course, highly poisonous.  The
article mentions a less toxic alternative, propylene glycol.

Also, remember that ice melts can pose risks:
>Available in both liquid and solid forms, ice melts are used to melt
>ice and snow on slippery sidewalks, roadways and driveways.  "Dermal
>exposure to paws is very common, and can result in irritation of the
>skin," says Farbman.  Additionally, pets may ingest ice melt from their
>paws or directly from the ground.  Depending on the amount ingested,
>this can result in a variety of effects, from drooling and diarrhea to
>excessive thirst, low blood pressure, decreased muscle function and,
>in severe cases, seizures, coma and even death.

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center's emergency hotline at
(888) 426-4435

There is also an Animal Poison Control Center at Angell Memorial and
that number can be easily found in the FHL Archives and I suspect in
the FML Archives.  Oh, what the heck.  I'll find it so all this is in
one place. :-)  Then folks can put the numbers up on their fridges or
bulletin boards to have handy.

Angell Memorial Animal Medical Center Pet Poison Hotline
1-877-2ANGELL (1-877-226-4355)

A very sweet ferret person here in NJ was helped by these ASPCA
professionals just yesterday for what was luckily a less serious
accidental ingestion of a houseplant that is best not eaten.

BTW, the ASPCA's APCC webpage among its resources has a list of plants
that a poisonous to pets, as do multiple other sites.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/