Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 15:33:25 -0400
Ok, so this is really embarrassing, but has been causing me some concern
lately.

I live with two healthy happy 5+-year-old twin sprites (spayed jills),
Frett and Sully, from the same small-breeder litter who I've had with me
for five years now.  When I first took them in, I fed them a combination
of cat chow, kitten chow, and Totally Ferret, as the breeder recommended.

At one point this turned in to just Totally Ferret, but when Sully seemed
not to be eating, I added the Kitten Chow back in.  At some point over the
past year, however, they have both completely stopped eating the Totally
Ferret, picking out just the Kitten Chow, spreading the TF around the floor
of the cage, and then looking at me like i'm trying to starve them.  I've
tried mixing in some other Ferret foods, but they also get spread around
the floor of the cage.

What I basically have on my hands is two stubborn little girls who go on
hunger strike if I don't get them their Happy Meals, and who pick out any
healthy vegetables I try to hide in with their hamgburgers.

So here's the crux of the problem:

-I know on the one hand that Kitten Chow is NOT the healthiest food for
ferrets, and would prefer they be eating a food for adult ferrets.'

-On the other hand, they're over five years old and happy and healthy--
a beautiful gift in and of itself.  And they just love their Kitten Chow.
How bad would it be to just let them keep eating it?  Is it worth the
stress they go through to keep trying to get them to eat something
healthier?  I give them linatone as a treat...is there maybe something
else I should be giving to supplement any lack in KC nutrition?

Perplexed and embarrassed,

-Renee

(Horrified beyond all sanity that I'm telling you this,
-Frett and Sully)