From:
"edman (Ed Atlee)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 11:41:26 EDT
I think the vets have covered this pretty well, but I wanted to say that
since surgery (two weeks ago), I have seen a *definite* improvement in
Goose's energy, stamina, appetite, and overall quality of life.  I simply
don't see how anyone could say they feel better than ever when they have
cancer, nor do I comprehend anyone saying that a 3 (or more) yr.  old ferret
will live only a year or two more with or without surgery.  I'm not flaming
the poster, and I'm sure both your friend and your vet have a lot of
knowledge about ferrets, but I think that in this area they are misinformed.
I strongly reccommend the surgery.

Someone asked if 7 was too old.  Well, Goose is 6 and we went ahead, 7 is
another year and I'm no vet, I've only been a fuzzy owner for a year.  I
think I would go ahead anyway, but I do have some questions, first, I paid
only about $250 (U.S.) for the surgery, left adrenal was removed, no
unexpected complications; second, well, I've always heard the chances were
*much* better than 50/50...maybe the vet(s) are concerned about age, but
again, Goose is 6...is this vet experienced in this procedure?  It worries
me that someone would give such low odds when I've always heard something
like 95%.  Again, I am NOT a vet, I'm just trying to share my somewhat
limited knowledge...

Finally, I thought maybe I imagined it, but you know, I think Goose blew
more of his coat ~ 1-1.5 weeks after surgery, too!!  Hopefully, like
Seldon's, it will soon be replaced.  I just noticed it the other day, and
then read of Seldon's experience.  I wasn't sure, between the hair he had
lost to the disease, and having his belly and leg shaved for surgery, he's
pretty bald, but this seemed further up.  Has anyone else seen this?  Maybe
the hair is so dry and damaged from the disease that when things get back to
normal (hormone levels, etc.) the body decides to replace it?  In any case,
Todd, I was glad to see your post, as I'm eager for Goose to grow some hair!

--edman (Ed Atlee)
ed, kim, Goose (*YOU'RE* eager?!?), Anastasia (Yeah, *I'm* the one who's
gotta keep him warm at night!), and Maggie the labrador (augh! he *is*
more active!)