From:
Marion Houle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:38:57 -0400
It is with a very very heavy heart that I make this post tonight.  I do not
post regularly, but enjoy reading the FML despite all the flames and heated
discussions that occur.  Many of you may recognize my email address, I have
replied to many of you personally, and some one out there might remember
sending me a list of names 4 years ago to name these two boys that I
rescued.

Jaymes crossed the Rainbow Bridge last Monday.  He was the healthiest
ferret until August when he was diagnosed with insulinoma about 7 months
ago, and had had surgery in August last year to remove a number of tumours.
I brought him in because he was vomiting and peeing orangish / brown.
After an ultrasound and bloodwork, we discovered that he had numerous
tumours, was anemic, had a heart murmur and had liquid in his lungs.
Agreeing to euthanize him then and there rather than trying to overdose him
with pediapred and other meds was one of of the hardest things I thought I
would ever have to do.  Although his breathing was somewhat laboured, he
still wanted to clamour into my arms for his cuddles.  And that was how he
crossed the bridge, held tightly in my arms with me telling him over and
over how much I love him and will miss him dearly.

Today, Bartles, Jaymes' brother of 6 years also crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
Last night I noticed that his urine was very dark, but there was no
vomiting, his breathing was fine, and he was even playful.  This morning
however, his urine was still the same, and so on Easter Sunday, I made an
appointment with my vet.  Bartles was somewhat jaundiced, and through
palpating, the vet could feel a couple of tumours.  His blood count was
very low and he wasn't going to live through the night.  So, once again,
I cuddled my little darling in my arms, and he gave me lots and lots of
kisses before he had his last breath.  Bartles had crossed many barriers to
live as long as he had.  He had a right adrenalectomy about 2 years ago,
and last year he had the left one removed.  His spleen was a little
enlarged so his body had the distinct shape of an avocado.  And his eyes
were so adoring.

Both Bartles and Jaymes were like adoring fans - they followed me
everywhere.  Bartles used to lay at my feet while I was doing dishes, and
Jaymes would pancake on the floor waiting for me to pick him up when I was
done.  These two were the mellowest ferrets I have ever seen in my life,
and they will leave a very big hole in my heart for a long time to come.

And here I am with my other five fuzzies wreaking havoc of my place,
bombing around like there is no tomorrow.  For Bartles and Jaymes, there is
no more tomorrow, but I know that these two adorable balls of fur, of whom
I was their 6th or 7th owner by the time they were two years old, had the
best of lives living with me than they could have had anywhere else.

And so I sign off, wishing and hoping that others at least had a happy
easter, and no disasters or catastrophes have occured in other people's
lives.

Marion and her remaining five: Indy 500, Thelma and Louise and Scuba and
Duke