From:
Ulrike Hassold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:27:14 +0100
Hi there

I've got problems with one of my ferrets and was wondering if anybody has
ever had a similar problem.

I've got problems with Mason and I haven't got a clue what's wrong.  He
lost a lot of weight and became very attached to me so I thought something
was up.  While I was visiting a friend for a week, he lost even more
weight.  Back home he literally begged me for more milk when I gave the
kids their cat milk.  And then I noticed that he wasn't eating.  The kids
had been on TF and he couldn't eat it.  I gave him some other ferret food
which was smaller and he tried to eat it but couldn't.  It's so hard to
explain, he opens his mouth wide and tries to pick the kibble up but then
all the kibble falls out of his mouth again.  He can't just pick one up
and eat it.  I had fed him some kibble out of my hand and he tried to eat
it and it was like he couldn't control his mouth, he just opened it like
hoping to pick up some food and he pinched my hand quite a lot and the
other kids wouldn't do it but carefully pick the kibble out of my hand
without biting me in the process.

So I had to feed Mason tinned cat food as it was the only thing he managed
to eat.  My vet didn't have a clue what could be wrong so I took Mason to
my friend's vets last Monday (I visited her for 3 days).  The vet examined
him really well, had a look at his jaw and all, the alignment of the teeth,
she felt everything and couldn't find anything wrong.  She came to the
conclusion that it must have something to do with his nerves that he hasn't
got full control over his mouth and picking up food, I thought it must be
something like that or some "brain damage".  Anyway, she gave him a shot of
some anti-inflammatory drug which will work for 2 weeks and she gave him
Baytril, maybe he has an ear infection or something.  I hope that'll do it,
the vet said that if he has nerve damage then that should heal.

Anyway, Mason has been on tinned cat food for quite a while but seemed to
be going off that as well if I didn't make him eat. :-(  He looked sooo
thin again a few days ago.  So yesterday I tried giving him some ground TF
with water and I fed him and he ate it!  So now when I feed Jilly I feed
Mason, too.  I've got to get him to put on some weight...

Has anybody ever had a similar problem?  Could his ear be damaged inside?
But he can balance and run and war dance so I really don't know... The only
thing that he can't do is eat...

Best wishes from

Ulrike

and fur kids Jilly, Jack, Igor, Bella, Tom, Mason, Baby, Dana, Fox and Reno

Missing Angel
West Wales Ferret Welfare
Treasurer of The National Ferret Welfare Society
National Ferret Welfare Society area co-ordinator for West Wales
http://www.ferretlove.freeserve.co.uk/