From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:45:15 -0400
 ...when people were talking about the Jason chainsaw ferret commercial
and some folks wisely mentioned that it might affect kids badly?

<http://www.picayuneitem.com/opinion/local_story_165115705.html?keyword=topstory>

includes

> Published: June 14, 2007 11:57 am
>
> When ferrets attack
>
> By Tracy Williams
> Item Guest Writer

which says in part about the response of a child (Connor):

>You never realize what you say around kids can make an impression.
>I happened to mention to my number two son ... The action freezes
>while an announcer implies ferrets attack more people than grizzlies.
>Conner immediately wanted to know what a ferret was.
>The little creatures have been known to attack small pets and
>infants but then so do dogs and cats. I hope we as a society do
>not become paranoid about being attacked by ferrets because of a
>mountain dew commercial.

It's a highly enjoyable read.  Recommended!

Right now I am starting to bounce back a bit from a week helping with
older relatives including my (just about) 93 year old father who (like
most his age) has dementia now and is worsening rapidly, and have
learned just last night that our youngest niece (20 years old) had a
Stevens-Johnson reaction to a med. She's on steroids now as a result
and luckily it is entirely dermal and restricted at this point, but
will have to be watched for about 4 weeks total to make sure there is
no further problem since it can damage or destroy eyes, kidneys, lungs,
etc. and can potentially worsen during coming weeks' time though
hopefully it won't worsen at all since it was caught immediately at
on-set. She is concerned but upbeat and is not letting it change her
hopes and expectations for the coming months so she's got the right
attitude. We're all worried, obviously, and will be till we know the
reaction has passed. Stress city in our family right now...

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: