From:
Lise O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:43:07 -0700
Hello everyone!

It is been quite a while since I last posted.  I just wanted to add my
two-cents regarding pet stores.

I have come to the conclusion that every pet store is different and it is
as good as the person who runs it (even if the store is a chain).  I will
begin with PetCo:

The local PetCo in my area (Webster, TX, just south of Houston) has a
wonderful weekend manager.  Wonderful in that he is not a know it all who
will not accept suggestions or assistance.  He and I got to talking and I
asked if I could post on the ferret display cage laminated information I
obtained from Ferret Central as well as providing the store with copies to
send home with new ferret parents.  He eagerly accepted my offer.  Yes,
it will come out of my very shallow pocket, but in my opinion, it will be
money well spent.  (Esp. since I am tired of hearing ignorant comments
from people not yet schooled on ferrets and ferret care).

I have yet to perform this little task because I work very long hours
(7am-who knows when) and I am trying to move (still trying) to the very
ferret friendly state of Florida.  There is though, this wonderful three
day holiday quickly approaching....

Anyway, it is my opinion that if we want change in our local pet stores we
may have to take charge ourselves (but with great tact and respect toward
the store personnel).

Second pet store story: There is a pet store in our local mall called
Family Pets.  I was always quite distressed as to how the ferrets were
kept.  The first time I went in there, the poor babies (about twenty of
various sizes, including tiny kits) were out of food.  After I alerted
the employee, he put in one bowl of food (about the size of a small ceramic
dog bowl) and the poor ferrets fought and growled over the food.

Jump to two weeks ago.  I went back into the store (though, I have done
so many times before, but not since Dec. 98) and wow!  No more yellow
shavings.  The ferrets had Feline Pine in their huge cage.  They were also
eating Marshall Farms food (not my favorite, but more preferable than the
other suspect food of past).  I got to meet the new manager.  She took over
the store this past Feb.  Oh, and she's a mom of four (ferts).  To show how
good she was, there was one particular ferret I was quite partial to and
she would not let me have it because she knew I already had seven.  It is
my impression she was concerned I would be too overwhelmed (if not already
so) and did not want the ferrets or myself to end up in a bad way.

I am not certain, but she may be an FML'r.  If she is, from that one trip
to your store a few weeks ago, good job.

Lise and the seven fun loving criminals.

p.s., I haven't read a whole lot of the fml in quite a while due to my
schedule, but what I have read their has been quite a bit of flamming
occuring.  If you do not agree with my post, fine, I will definitely
respect your opinion, but please no flames.  They are a waste of time,
energy and karma.