From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 10:48:54 -0500
Rudy brought up some good points about natural not always being best.  We
are not experimenting (it is still an experiment) with meat and by-products
with out a reason.  There are definite anecdotal differences in health
issues between European and American ferrets.  Certain cancers that are way
too common over here are relatively unknown over there.  There aren't the
same types of kibble food available in European coutries that are available
here.  The meat and by-product experiments more closely match European diets
(particularly English) as we know them.  We've brought over European ferrets
(we is quite a few breeders now) and are working with both genetic
experiments and dietary changes.  If the dietary changes help with American
ferrets with no (recent) Euorpean lineage thats great and we make a big deal
about informing folks.  If it doesn't we inform folks that it didn't help.
If the European lines and hybrid lines have less cancers than the normal
American with or with out the modified diet than the genetic part is a
likely reason.  Several folks speculate about in-breeding (even in the line
breeding guise) being a part of the cause - this is why I'm working with
this group to document ferret lineages and medical problems associated with
those lines.  I'm not planning on making public the findings in anyway that
compromises privacy or that embarrasses individuals.  If I find that certain
genetic lines have higher rates of problems I would only tell those WITH the
lines.  It would be their ethical decisions about what to do about it.

In what I've seen so far the bones structure including dental of the English
ferrets we brought over is amazing.  If I can get similar improvements in my
American lines I'll be quite happy.  The German lines I've seen are
impressive in their conformation as well - they do not have quite as an
amazing bone structure but really good muscle mass.  My German lines are not
pure but are hybrid which might affect them.  Other European and Australian
animals are being imported for similar experimenting.  I know almost nothing
about the Australian ferrets so I can't comment on them.

Getting back to the 'natural' not always being best.  The mere fact that I
cook most of the meats and that kibble food is still being used for the bulk
of the diets is a recognition that naturla has problems.  We also used
sterilzed water (usually tap water in the breeders I know) instead of stream
water.

Okay now a question.  If microwaving isn't a good way to kill the bacteria
what is better?

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets